Why should the learning episode halt as the school bell rings? There is no better route to boost your kid's learning process than a plethora of fun and entertaining after-school activities to do at home!
As a parent, I am sure it's quite a hassle to find the best after-school activities for your kids. But you don't have to worry anymore. Our guide will help you pick the best after-school activities for your kids.
Here's what we have covered:
- How do after-school activities benefit Kids?
- Top 10 ideas for after-school activities to do at home:
- How to find the right after-school activity for your child?
So, let's dig into the details.
Balancing Leisure and Learning with After-School Activities!
How do After-School Activities Benefit Kids?
Before we can delve into the best options for after-school activities, it is vital to understand why after-school activities are essential for your kids.
Here are some ways how after-school activities can enrich your kid's day with a wealth of benefits. Take a look:
- Get involved in your kid's learning process- Undue academic pressures from school and the tough schedule of your kid might not allow you to spend quality time with your kid. Luckily, after-school activities extend the possibilities of parents' involvement in their kids' learning process. You might be able to discover your child's creative side and unleash their new potential. Moreover, these activities will help you draw closer to your kids and forge stronger relationships between you and your kids.
- Relax your kids- Many kids are frazzled after an exhausting day at school. However, after-school activities are incredibly instrumental in helping your child to wind down after their tough day and relax. The more relaxed your children feel, the more likely they are to feel uplifted to ace the next day at school.
- Better academic performance- There is growing evidence that after-school activities enhance your child's academic performance. When your child engages in diverse creative activities after school, he builds better cognitive skills and focuses than other kids.
- Cultivate healthy habits- After-school activities are a crucial contributor to cultivating healthy habits among kids. If you involve your kids in creative and fun activities incorporating learning, they are likely to implement them in their daily lives and maintain a physically active lifestyle.
- New talents- Given the opportunity and a pat on the back from parents, kids may be willing to discover new talents, try different things and take on diverse challenges in life. As a result, your kids will build higher self-esteem and awareness that will help them find their true passion and purpose in life.
Top 10 Ideas for After-School Activities to do at Home
Now that you know all the benefits, you should pick up the best option that your kid will enjoy.
Here are our top 10 picks for after-school activities to do at home that will balance fun and learning:
- Bake with your kid (use our explore page to find virtual cooking classes in your area!)
- Put together a home-based scavenger hunt
- Indulge in arts and crafts
- Go out for an evening stroll
- Have a workout session
- Read short stories and novels
- Solve logic or code-breaking puzzles
- Listen or play music
- Clean and organize your home
- Play board games
How to Find the Right After-School Activity for Your Child?
The list of after-school activities can go on and on, but another vital question is how to find the right one for your kid. Here are a few aspects to bring into your consideration while finding the best after-school activities to do at home:
- Focus on what your kid enjoys doing- It is essential to concentrate on the activities that your child enjoys doing. It is fine to advise your child to pursue new hobbies in order to expose them to a broad range of interests. However, your child's interest in the activity is just as significant. Even if your child must participate in after-school activities every day, ask them what sort of activities they enjoy doing the most.
- Be mindful of your child's needs- It is essential to focus on what your kids need to relax and recharge. Even though there is no proof that certain activities might harm your kid, if your kid doesn't wish to engage in a particular activity, it is important to speak to them and ask them what is driving those sentiments. Besides this, consider how you may organize their schedules so that kids have time for play as well as possibilities to learn new things and engage in activities they enjoy.
- Don't ignore unique hobbies- It is vital not to ignore unusual or unique after-school activities. For instance, if your kid is highly energetic or fidgety, exercise with them and teach them discipline. If your child doesn't organize his things or is messy, start organizing using home decor activities with them to teach them organization skills.
- Don’t pressure your kids- Your kids might be welcoming to new suggestions. However, if you pressure them or burden them with after-school activities, they might not feel any passion to do them.
A Quick Recap
After-school activities to do at home can be incredible for creativity and fun learning. Creating a safe and creative landscape of after-school activities at home and encouraging your kids to pursue them can bring a host of benefits to your kids. From developing new talents to building higher self-esteem and awareness, the benefits are endless! Speak to your kids about what they enjoy the most or perhaps try new activities with them on a daily basis, so they are never bored.
Make sure you take a look at these additional resources to find more activities they can do at home or at a local center!